Sunday, January 17, 2010

I got my roof replaced, I noticed in the attic the plywood looks more split from the nails. Is this normal?

Nails will not split plywood. The sheet is made of layers of veneer run in alternating directions. What you are seeing is imperfections in the surface veneer. The plywood they use for sheathing is CDX, which means that the face (upper side) is graded ';C';, and the underside is graded ';D';. D is the lowest quality for veneer. It's structurally sound, but appearance wise is rated low. If this were a cabinet, the plywood would be A/A or A/B. there is nothing to worry about. Hope this helps.I got my roof replaced, I noticed in the attic the plywood looks more split from the nails. Is this normal?
The plywood was probably laid over the skip sheething (1'; x 4'; spaced about 4';-5'; apart,horizontally). When the staples or nails penetrate through the 1';x4'; or the new sheathing(plywood). The wood tends to splinter outward. No worries. Just hope that what you can't see, was done correctly.I got my roof replaced, I noticed in the attic the plywood looks more split from the nails. Is this normal?
Probably. Closer inspection may reveal the sheathing isn't as split as it looks from below. I wouldn't worry about it unless the roof leaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment