Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My dog has split his nail should I pull it out?

My dog bites his nails, yesterday hebroke it and it is split down the middle top and bottom. I dont really want to pull it out. What should I do? And please I already know I can take it to the Vet. and would like to know what others did.My dog has split his nail should I pull it out?
I don't recommend pulling it out unless it's hanging by a thread, that would be very painful. If it's only split with no swelling or other sign of infection/injury, leave it alone to heal. If it shows signs of swelling/infection go to the vet immediately and they will take care of it. There is really nothing to be done, but try to get your dog to stop chewing his nails.





Our dog does the same thing and we've just invested in having as many different flavored chews around and this seems to ease her need to chew her nails. Also, keeping them trimmed will help.My dog has split his nail should I pull it out?
You attempt to pull it, you better wear some steel armor.





A vet may be able to cut it back enough that it will grow back normally.





Can you imagine pulling your own toenail out? Geeezzzz.
If you don't want to pull it all the way out.. you can keep snipping the nail shorter until it eventually will fall out on it's own. It might be irratating your dog which causes him to keep licking it and eventually making his paw swollen and red. If you can't get the nail short enough take him to the vet and they will take care of it for you and give medication to avoid infection. This happened to my dog twice.. the first time the nail fellout on it's own, but the second time we had to take him to the vet.
Please don't pull it out!! Dogs have a vein in their nails so it will bleed ALOT and need to be cauterized if you do that (more expensive). Just leave it be and let it grow out until the split is gone. If the dog keeps irritating it and making it worse, you may need a vet to fix it. Keep an eye on it.
You can't really pull it out unless it is hanging on, it would be painful and would create an open wound. If it is not bleeding anymore, then I'd leave it alone to heal for itself. You can also clean the are then wrap it up for a little. Otherwise the Vet can give you further advice.
  • make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment