Friday, January 15, 2010

My dog has a split nail.?

My split her nail. The whole nail is completed slit in two. When it happened I brought her to the vet. They said there was nothing they could do and she would be fine. A month later the nail has not changed. I called and again they told me not to worry, i am wondering if anyone has had this issue with their dog before, and if so when did it heal?My dog has a split nail.?
All the time, my dogs are high energy, and run around a lot so it happens. Just keep an eye on the nail, and take her to the vet if you think she's getting an infection.





Usually, it heals in a couple of weeks, but my dogs nails are evil, and grow really fast. :XMy dog has a split nail.?
When this happened to my dog they cut the nail all the way back and then let it grow back naturally. They had to put him out for the surgery so it got a little spendy. My vet did this right away, you may want to get a second option on it, it could get infected. They put a cast on my dog until the nail healed properly and was not showing any longer. All together it was about a $100 bucks. Hope this helps, good luck!
This happens to my german shepherd/rottweiler a lot as he is always digging up the mountains looking for rabbits. Usually it falls off on its own after a few weeks. I just keep an eye on it to see that it is not swollen or infected.
Hi Kimberly, Yes one of my dogs slit his nail as you are describing It went to the quick so it was painful. They removed the nail without hesitation., then he was fine

No comments:

Post a Comment