Friday, January 15, 2010

What to do with a split nail on a GSD?

My mother owns a 2 year old GSD. He was playing like normal yesterday night and then came to her limping and yelping. My mother said that there wasnt any blood and she couldnt find a sticker or a bramble on the paw, but the dog wouldnt really let her look at it. So this morning she looked at the paw again. She says there still wasnt any blood anywhere, but his right most nail on his left hand is split (she called it his thumb). She told me (as I was also under the impression) that she thought it would bleed if the quick was cut, like when the nails are trimmed. I told her to call her vet! So she did. Now, she lives in a very small town with a really crappy vet. He told her to give it a day or two and make sure it's not infected. I told her that he could remove the nail. But he told her that he wouldnt do that for a split nail. Now, I'm not a vet and I'm just going on what I have researched for my own dog.





I already told her to call another vet and get a second opinion from a vet that actually cares about dogs (if we had followed this vet's advice about my dog only months ago, my dog would have died - I HATE this vet!!).





So my question is for those people who have had a similar experience, what did your vet do? Did he clip the nail off or remove it completely? Did they have to put the dog under to do this?





PLEASE dont just say ';take the dog to the vet'; as my mother is calling for a second opinion as I write this, but I want to know about REAL experiences. Thanks!!What to do with a split nail on a GSD?
A few months ago, Max split his front middle nail directly down the center- he didn't bleed at all. He was vetted but the nail wasn't removed. Our vet put on a nail clip (the kind that stunt the nail growth) to hold the nail together and it actually grew back together over a period of two weeks.





He has a permanent split line in that nail now, but it worked.





The vets opinion in THIS case however is wrong. Leaving a split nail untreated is excruciating for a dog. What to do with a split nail on a GSD?
I would File it down, as much as the dog would let me, then tape it. But that is just a home made guess. I would feel aweful if they were playing and it hooked on somthing- that would be painful.. Thats my best idea
Surgery isn't required for a split nail. The nail will grow out over the next few weeks and the split end can be trimmed away.
My vet did put my dog under an anasthetic and removed the nail. He then bandaged her foot so she didn't get an infection. Only the quick remained.


After 5 days the bandage was taken off and I had to wash the area in warm salt water for another two days. She recovered well and the nail grew back perfectly.


Tip: Put a sock on the dog to protect the bandage.
I've had dogs end up ripping their whole nail out but I've never heard of one splitting down the middle. But anyway...it wouldn't be serious unless it got infected, I'd trim it as close to the quick as possible (if it had been cut close and high the injury probably wouldn't have happened in the first place). GSDs are supposed to have small feet with high nails like a Doberman's but not as exaggerated to prevent such injuries, bad breeding and owners who're afraid to trim the nail close cause injury most of the time but sometimes it can't be helped. Clean it with peroxide after the dog comes in from outside to keep it clean, keep it trimmed and short and wait and see what happens. I assure you it's not serious enough a second opinion is needed...most vets would tell you just what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment