Friday, January 15, 2010

My dog is limping and I can see that she has a split nail/infected nail on her front paw?

It seems to be bleeding just a little bit, not a lot, and she is favoring it, (limping). She whines when I press on it, and really doesn't seem to feel good-does not want to go out, move around, holds her head down...


She is a 8 year old red heeler and in otherwise good health. Usually very playful and usually follows me around the house wherever I go.


We went to church and just got back and it seems alot worse than when we left a few hours ago.


My vet has walk-in hours tomorrow at 9 am, so of course I'll be there then but any suggestions on what to do till then? soak in hot water? (?????)


Any vets out there?My dog is limping and I can see that she has a split nail/infected nail on her front paw?
I have a twelve year old dog who had such things.


It is mostly the result because he scratches on the wall of the roof to bark at my neighbor's dog. She ends up with the condition like your dog. Start limping and blood comes out because the nail is out of place. It surely hurts it very much and don't even lets us touch the foot. More than warm water


the best thing is cold water so that the blood will dry up. Warm water reopens the bruise or whatever it is and it will hurt more. The only remedy is to take it to the vet and take out the nail or cure the bruise. It it lets you it would be good


if you apply some antiseptic. The important thing is to keep the part clean. Then when you can take her to the vet.My dog is limping and I can see that she has a split nail/infected nail on her front paw?
I would soak her paw in a solution of epsom salts and warm water which will draw infection as well as helping to soften anything that might be embedded in her pad. Soak for about 20 minutes, dry well, apply antibiotic ointment and wrap loosely. Try and keep her off it till you get her to the vet in the morning.
She may have stood on something yesterday that hurt it, try keeping it clean with warm water and maybe a bit of soap?


If it gets REALLY bad before tomorow, call the vet! They might be a bit annoyed but if it will help your dog then im sure they will be partly happy to help (:





Hope your dogs okay ): xxx
Im not a vet but I have a cocker spaniel and she has a lot of paw issues. what I would do is wash it gently and wrap it in medical tape. That should keep it from getting infected til you go to the vet.
Clean it with warm water, and put hydrogen peroxide on it. If you can, also put on an antibiotic ointment. Then take him to the vet tomorrow.








edit: PS - don't use alchohol - it stings!
You need to bring her to the Vet. This could become infected and, she could become seriously ill, she might be already. Please, take her to the vet.
also, if you have any gauze, you could wrap it up. she won't keep it on, but it'll keep dirt from getting in there as much.
if i were you i would take it to the vet
go to the vet
If she was fine yesterday chances are it's not infected yet, feel her injured foot and if it's hot compared to her other feet then that is a sure sign of infection. If it's not hot then it's not infected, my vet told me that unless a split nail is infected you can care for it at home.





First see if you can trim any of the excess broken nail off be careful not to cut into the quick still. Don't use hot water to soak it use lukewarm water, dissolve some table salt in there and simply dip her paw in that solution for as long as she will let you. Next take some peroxide and gently pour it on the wound, gently dry the area with clean towel be careful it's really tender! Now put on some Polysporin, and to keep her from licking it, take a clean old sock and put it loosely over her foot, and wrap at the top with a tensor bandage.





You have to make sure she doesn't lick the polysporin off, so I usually do this at night so that they aren't licking their wound all day and making it worse.. during the day I let it open so it can dry and heal, at night you treat it and wrap it up to keep away infection.





This happens to my old dog all the time she has brittle nails, thats exactly what the vet told me to do to treat it, and they stressed that you only need to bring the dog in if there is infection.
  • make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment